STEP 1: Application
Once you find the position for which you are qualified, to be considered as an applicant for Certified positions. You may only apply for vacant posted positions:
- To submit an application click here to be directed to the Applitrack Online Application Site.
- Attach the following application materials:
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended (unofficial copies accepted)
- Three current letters of professional reference (preferred, not required)
- A copy of your current Illinois Teaching License.
- If you do not have a current Illinois Teaching License, please send a statement to inform us of your progress toward licensure. Contact the Illinois Department of Education for further information regarding licensure. If you have a license from another state, please provide us with a copy.
- If you are interested in the Alternative Licensure Program, you must obtain a "Statement of Eligibility" from the Illinois Department of Education and submit a copy with your application. We are only hiring alternative licensure applicants in the areas of "high need" (foreign language, math, science).
The Decatur Public School District complies with the rules and regulations set forth by the Illinois Department of Education in terms of hiring candidates who are CURRENTLY CERTIFIED OR ENDORSED IN THE APPROPRIATE CONTENT AREA(S).
STEP 2: Haberman Star Teacher Interview
Complete the Haberman Star Teacher Interview. (After the online application has been submitted, you will be directed to this interview. Please allow 30-40 minutes to complete.)
- Note: If you are applying to be a School Psychologist, School Social Worker, Occupational Therapist, or Physical Therapist you do not need to complete the Haberman Star Teacher Interview and will not be directed to it.
- All other licensed applicants will need to complete the Haberman Star Teacher Interview in order to be considered for positions in Decatur.
STEP 3: Apply for additional Positions
To add yourself to positions, log on using your user id and password. Select "Add Positions".
- Note: This option will only be available to you after you have submitted an online application. Follow the instructions as indicated on this site to add positions to your online application. You will only be able to add positions for the type of application you submitted (i.e.. Certified, Classified, or Administrator).
STEP 1: Review/Interview
When a vacancy occurs, applications are reviewed to determine if the applicant meets the requirements for the designated position. Interviews are then scheduled, at the school where the vacancy exists, for the applicants who best meet the qualifications of the position.
STEP 2: Appointment to a position
Appointment to a position is made after a candidate has verbally accepted a contract offer, holds a current Illinois License, and has passed a background check. Salary placement is based upon verification of prior years' experience and receipt of official transcripts. Prior experience is defined as a full year of service under contract at the time that the individual is fully credentialed.
STEP 3: Paperwork
Once you have verbally accepted a contract offer, please print off and fill out your Certified Paperwork. Once completed, please bring to your orientation meeting with a Human Resources staff member.
STEP 4: Orientation
New hires are provided a packet of information regarding items related to employment. A two-day New Teacher Orientation is provided in July for year round schools and in August for traditional schools. Mentor teachers are available as a resource throughout the school year. Support is also provided to first year teachers through the M.A.P.S. Mentor Program
New employees are required to have Department of Justice fingerprints and physical and TB test results on file with our district prior to the start of employment. Staff is employed by official action of the Board of Education upon recommendation of the Superintendent.
Decatur Public School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has an Affirmative Action Program.