Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS)
MTSS is a term that is being used with increasing frequency across the country to define a proactive prevention framework that organizes district and building-level resources to accommodate all students via early identification of learning and behavior challenges.
A Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) framework is an integrated, multi-tiered system of instruction, assessment, and intervention designed to meet the academic achievement and behavioral needs of all students. Although not all MTSS structures use three tiers, it is easy to think of “All” (Core) students, “Some” (Strategic) students and “Few” (Intensive) students.
- An MTSS framework is an evidenced-based process that emphasizes data-based decision-making. The instruction, assessment, and intervention are delivered to students with varying intensity based upon student need.
- A good MTSS includes strong initial core instruction with ongoing and frequent monitoring of student progress through a comprehensive assessment system.
- For successful implementation of MTSS, intervention(s) must be well defined and planned.
The Illinois MTSS Network is offers several Professional Learning opportunities statewide during the months of March and April to support district efforts implementing the MTSS framework.
- Adaptive School Training (Face-to-Face)
- Data System and Process: Implementing & Evaluating the Vision (Face-to-Face)
- Getting Started with Capacity Building: Introduction to the MTSS Framework (Face-to-Face)
- Implementation Drivers - Competency (Online Webinar)
- Implementation Drivers - Organization (Online Webinar)
- Introduction to EBPs - A Family Perspective (Online Webinar)
- Introduction to MTSS - A Family Perspective (Online Webinar)
- Introduction to the Continuous Improvement Process - A Family Perspective (Online Webinar)
- School Level Implementation of MTSS (Face-to-Face)
- Trauma Informed Practices for District Leadership Teams (Face-to-Face)
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Training (Face-to-Face)
The Illinois MTSS-N website - www.ilmtss.net - has been designed to make it easy to access complete information about upcoming face-to-face trainings, webinars, or events and to register at a location near you.