Welcome to Mrs. Ridley’s class
1. Sight words will be posted in DOJO under class story at the start of each month and will be tested each month. Students should be able to read the sight words without sounding them out. In addition to learning sight words please help your student with the skill of sounding unknown words out as well.
2. Vocabulary words will be posted in DOJO under class story at the start of each week and will be tested each Friday. Students should be able to read the vocabulary words, know the meaning of the word, and use it correctly in a sentence.
3. Word family words will be posted in DOJO under class story at the start of each week please study these words and their spelling patterns with your child. These words along with others in the same word family as well as review words will be tested on Fridays.
4. Students should work on basic addition and subtraction facts to gain fluency nightly.
5. Students should be reading out loud to an adult for at least 15 minutes each night. Occasionally I will send specific books home. These are my reading group books. Be sure to read them with your child but promptly return them the next day, as they are used for instruction and are not easily replaced.
6. There will typically be two homework papers in your child’s yellow Wednesday folder. These assignments will be due the following Friday. While 1st graders need guidance completing their assignments please be sure it is your child’s work that is turned in.
7. Please check with your child daily for other assignments that need to be completed. These assignments will have the word homework or HW on the top. If it is a whole class assignment or project it will typically be posted in DOJO under class story as well. Have your child complete these assignments and return the assignment the next day.
8. Also look for completed work to come home daily and go over these for mastery of the skill again at home.