Head Lice Protocol 12/2007
IDENTIFICATION OF INFESTED STUDENTS
Individual students, only, will be checked by the nurse, including those who:
- are scratching their heads,
- have sibling with head lice, or
- are reported by self, family, or others to be infested.
- No classroom checks will be done.
If nits are found by nurse:
- Note #14B home with student – write “nits found today”
- The nurse contacts parent/guardian re: NITS
- The student may stay until the end of the school day
- The student returns to school without a readmission check
- The student’s head is rechecked during nurse’s assignment to school
If lice are found by nurse or staff:
- The Nurse or staff contact parent/guardian re: infestation
- The student is transported home by parent ASAP
- “Eliminating Head Lice” letter is sent home with student
A readmission check by the nurse at his/her location is required; parent must be present.