Asbestos Notice 2018-2019
DECATUR PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT #61
2018-2019 AHERA ANNUAL NOTICE
This information is being published to comply with the requirements of 40 CFR 763 Subpart E asbestos containing materials in schools. This regulation, commonly known as the “AHERA” rule, requires local education agencies, such as this one, to perform certain tasks in regards to the presence and control of asbestos containing materials in the buildings under the jurisdiction of the local education agency.
These include but are not limited to:
- Developing an asbestos management plan which is designed to outline procedures and guidelines for the inspection, reinspection, and periodic surveillance of asbestos containing materials that are present in the buildings.
- Provide awareness training and additional training to selected school employees
- Periodically notify all workers and occupants, or their local guardians, parent-teacher organizations, and collective bargaining organizations of the availability of asbestos management plans, the location of same and the times that the plans may be reviewed, the planned abatement of asbestos-containing materials, and the completion of asbestos abatement projects.
This notification (required by 855.300[a] and 855.350[e]) is to advise all patrons, occupants, or their legal guardians, collective bargaining organizations, and parent-teacher’s organizations that the Decatur School District #61 plans to commence asbestos abatement projects from time-to-time in the planned program of asbestos fiber control in accordance with the requirements of 77 IAC, Ch1, §855.450(h), Subchapter P. Local control notifications shall be placed at entrances to the regulated work areas when the abatement project is commenced.
This notification is to advise all patrons, occupants, or their legal guardians, collective bargaining organizations, and parent-teacher’s organizations, that the asbestos management plans required under this act are available for review upon request. A copy of the plans for all buildings under the jurisdiction of this local education agency are available in the Buildings and Grounds Office, which is located at 400 East Cerro Gordo Street, Decatur, Illinois 62523; telephone number 217/362-3531. Plans can be viewed by any person during normal business hours of the particular school. Interested parties wishing to inquire about the hours and times that the plans are available should call the above number.
At this time, the management plans can provide information regarding inspections, response actions, and post-response action activities, including periodic reinspection and surveillance activities that are planned or in progress. Inquiries regarding any facet of the regulation or the management plans should be directed to Mr. Steve Kline at the above telephone number during regular business hours.
Listed is a brief description of asbestos work that has been completed in our schools this year. Detailed reports have become part of each school’s asbestos management plan and may be reviewed in the school office.
- The Stage Area at Johns Hill Magnet School was abated in August of 2017.
Keil Building, PDI (Boland) Building, Maintenance/Warehouse/Garage, Sky Walker Gym; Michael Baum, Brush College, Dennis, Durfee Magnet, Enterprise , Benjamin Franklin , Mary French Academy, Garfield Montessori, William Harris, Hope Academy, Johns Hill Magnet, Muffley, Oak Grove, Parsons, Pershing Early Learning Center, Phoenix Academy (Southeast), South Shores and Stevenson Elementary Schools; Stephen Decatur and Thomas Jefferson Middle Schools; Eisenhower and MacArthur High Schools; and Decatur Area Technical Academy.
- The required six-month periodic surveillance was performed in July of 2018.
- Next activity scheduled is the required six-month surveillance in January of 2019 and response actions including but not limited to operations and maintenance and non-friable floor tile and mastic projects.