Welcome to Johns Hill Magnet School!
Johns Hill Magnet School has the longest history as a magnet school in Decatur. JHMS serves students in Kindergarten through 8th grade and houses the district’s English Language Learners program. In addition to the core academic subjects, we integrate the arts in all of our programs. We offer solid programs in foreign languages, fine arts, music, and sports. Many students excel in several areas, and most students participate in a variety of activities. There are multiple languages spoken by students who attend Johns Hill and students have opportunities to celebrate cultural diversity.
Our new state-of-the art school facility opened in August 2021, replacing what was previously the oldest building in District #61. Our new building includes an art studio, with a kiln for pottery and ample space all over the school for displaying art projects. It also includes a dance studio that can be used for yoga, as well as rehearsals and performances in a smaller setting. And our auditorium is state-of-the-art, with space for 680+ guests, including safe catwalks that are easily accessible so students can learn set lighting and backstage management for performances.
Inspiring students by enhancing academics with multicultural experiences and the visual and performing arts.
Curriculum: JHMS will have a challenging, multicultural, standards-based curriculum that infuses visual and performing arts.
Learning Environment: JHMS will create a program that offers challenging, creative learning opportunities for all students.
School Community: Our school community will develop a family of lifelong learners through innovation and collaboration, focusing on the unique individual.
Community Involvement: JHMS will actively collaborate with the community to enhance artistic, creative, and cultural experiences.
Contact the Office
History of Johns Hill
The original Johns Hill Magnet School building was constructed in 1928 on the site of the former home of Dr. C.H. and Jane Martin Johns, prominent Decatur citizens who had connections to the Governor Richard Oglesby and President Abraham Lincoln families. The site was known as Johns Hill while the couple lived there and the name was retained for the school. It was originally called Johns Hill Junior High School. The school was renamed Johns Hill Magnet School when it became the District's first magnet school program, focusing on fine arts.
Photograph of Jane Johns' home taken in 1914. This house, built in 1854, was torn down in 1928, to build the Johns Hill Junior High School.
Photograph of original Johns Hill building, built in 1928 and demolished in 2021 to make way for the new Johns Hill Magnet School building.