Telling Our Story
The DPS Department of Communications and Community Engagement is committed to keeping our community informed about what's happening in our schools, to creating community partnerships that support our students and our staff, and to working to tell our stories about the amazing things happening every day in Decatur Public Schools.
- We believe that it's essential that we communicate clearly, transparently, and consistently with students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
- We value the opportunity for stakeholders to have a voice; to know they have been heard; and to see that their priorities, aspirations, and contributions are taken into account during planning and decision-making processes.
- We are committed to increasing two-way communication between the school district and our community to create an atmosphere of trust and cooperation among all stakeholders.
- Members of the Department of Communications and Community Engagement serve as the spokespersons for Decatur Public Schools, the DPS Board of Education, and DPS Administration. All media inquiries should be directed to Chief Communications Officer Denise Swarthout at DSwarthout@dps61.org and Director of Community Engagement Maria Robertson at MRobertson@dps61.org.
- Media should contact the Department of Communications and Community Engagement at 217.362.3018 or 217.362.3017, and/or email DSwarthout@dps61.org and MRobertson@dps61.org BEFORE arriving at a Decatur Public Schools property.
- Media members will not be permitted to film or otherwise engage with students or staff on DPS property without specific permission from the school/building administrator and/or the Department of Communications and Community Engagement.
Meet the Team
- Keil Administration Building
- Maria Robertson
- Denise Swarthout